Activities 2004 - 2008
Collaborative Activities During 2004-2008
1. An NIE-AAAPT Expert Meeting was organized by Dr. Rajdeep Singh Rawat at NIE NTU, Singapore from 21 to 22 August 2004 at National Institute of Education, NTU, Singapore. Besides the NIE Plasma Group, the meeting was attended by Prof. C. S. Wong from University Malaya, Malaysia, Dr. Rattachat Mongolnavin from Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, Prof. M. Zakaullah from Quaid-i-Azam University, Pakistan, Dr. S. M. Mohanty from Centre for Plasma Physics, India and Dr Ashok Aggarwal from Indian Institute of Technology, India among others. The meeting was supported by AAAPT and NIE / NTU.
2. A Satellite Plasma Meeting was held in conjunction with the International Meeting on Frontiers of Physics held in KualaLumpur, Malaysia from 25 to 29 July 2005, of which AAAPT was one of the co-sponsor. An Executive Council Meeting was also held during the event.
3. During the IMFP 2005, the President Prof C. S. Wong met the Chief Editor of Physics Today, Dr. Stephen Benka and briefed him about AAAPT activities. An article was then written and eventually published in the May 2006 issue of Physics Today, a milestone for AAAPT. Click here to connect to the article.
4. The AAAPT supported the Workshop and Training School in Cheap Plasma Technology Applications in Industry and Environment held in Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt from 8 to 14 November 2005.
5. AAAPT co-organized with Chulalongkorn University a Workshop on Initiation of Fusion Programme in Thailand from 15-18 June 2006. An AAAPT Executive Council Meeting was also held in conjunction with this workshop.
6. Mr. Tamer Emara from Atomic Energy Authority of Egypt was on 3 months attachment at UM from 26 April to 25 July 2006 to work on X-ray diagnostic techniques.
7. Mr. Mohammad Ali Mohammadi from Tabriz University Iran was on 3 months attachment at NIE NTU from 4 Jan to 4 April 2007 to work on Laser shadowgraphy techniques for plasma diagnostics. The attachment was later extended to six month with three months of support from NIE / NTU / Singapore. Mr Mohammadi was co-supervised by Prof Samad Sobhanian, University of Tabriz, Iran and Dr Rajdeep Singh Rawat, NIE / NTU, Singapore under a joint PhD programme between the two universities. Two papers were published based on the work done during the six months attachment [1-2].
8. The collaboration with Dr Mohammadi Ali Mohammadi, University of Tabriz, Iran and Dr Rajdeep Singh Rawat, NIE / NTU, Singapore continued even afterwards and resulted in more joint publications [3-5].
9. Mr. Ujjwal M. Joshi from Kathmandu University was on 3 months attachment at UM from 13 June to 10 September 2007 to work on dielectric barrier discharge.
10. The AAAPT had participated in the Institute of Plasma Focus Study initiated and set up by Prof. Lee Sing in Feb 2008.
11. Prof C S Wong was invited, representing AAAPT, to give a speech at the opening ceremony of the First ICTP Regional Microelectronics Workshop and Training on VHDL for Hardware Synthesis and FPGA Design in Asia-Pacific on 16 June 2008. It was used as the opportunity to publicize AAAPT.
12. The AAAPT was invited to be associated with the Multi-discipline Laboratory (MLAB) at ICTP and also to collaborate with the Division of Plasma Physics (DPP) of Association of Asia Pacific Physical Society (AAPPS) to promote plasma physics.
13. A PhD student, Mr Mohammad Hassan, from Government College, Lahore visited Plasma Radiation Source Lab of NIE/NTU at Singapore on 2 month research attachment from May 2007 to July 2007 to work on “Nitrogen ion irradiation of Zr samples”. During this attachment was under the collaborative supervision of Dr Rajdeep Singh Rawat NTU/Singapore and Dr Riaz Ahmed GC/Lahore. The collaborative work between the AAAPT network institutes resulted in several research papers [6-10] and Dr Hassan later successfully completed his PhD. He was supported by AAAPT, Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
14. A PhD student, Mr Rakesh Malik, from Delhi University, India visited Plasma Radiation Source Lab of NIE/NTU at Singapore on 2 month research attachment from May 2008 to July 2008 to work on “Energetic ion irradiation of Nickle ferrite thin films”. During this attachment was under the collaborative supervision of Dr Rajdeep Singh Rawat NTU/Singapore and Prof S. Annapoorni, DU / India. The collaborative work between the AAAPT network institutes resulted in a research paper . He was supported by AAAPT and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Publications out of AAAPT Network Groups Collaborations:
 M.A. Mohammadi, S. Sobhanian, C.S. Wong, S. Lee, P. Lee and R.S. Rawat, The Effect of Anode Shape on Neon Soft X-ray Emissions and Current Sheath Configuration in Plasma Focus Device, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 42, 045203 (2009).
 M.A. Mohammadi, R. Verma, S. Sobhanian, C.S. Wong, S. Lee, S.V. Springham, T.L. Tan, P. Lee and R.S. Rawat, Neon soft X-ray emission studies from UNU-ICTP Plasma Focus operated with Longer than Optimal Anode Length, Plasma Sources Science and Technology 16 (4), 785-790 (2007).
 M. Valipour, M. A. Mohammadi, S. Sobhanian, and R. S. Rawat, Increasing of Hardness of Titanium Using Energetic Nitrogen Ions from Sahand as a Filippov Type Plasma Focus Facility, Journal of Fusion Energy 31(1), 65-72 (2012). : DOI: 10.1007/s10894-011-9432-1.
 M. A. Mohammadi, S. Sobhanian, and R. S. Rawat, Neutron Production with Mixture of Deuterium and Krypton in Sahand Filippov Type Plasma Focus Facility, Physics Letters A 375, 3002–3006 (2011).
 M.A. Mohammadi, S. Sobhanian, M.Ghomeishi, E.Ghareshabani, M.Moslehi-fard, S. Lee and R.S. Rawat, Current Sheath Dynamics and its Evolution Studies in Sahand Filippov type Plasma Focus, Journal of Fusion Energy 28 (4), 371-376 (2009).
 M. Shafiq, M. Hassan, K. Shahzad, A. Qayyum, S. Ahmad, R.S. Rawat and M. Zakaullah, Pulsed ion beam-assisted carburizing of titanium in methane discharge, Chinese Physics B 19(1), 012801 (2010).
 M. Hassan, A. Qayyum, R. Ahmad, R.S. Rawat, P. Lee, S.M. Hassan, G. Murtaza and M. Zakaullah, Dense plasma focus ion-based titanium nitride coating on titanium, Nuclear Instruments Methods: B 267, 1911-1917 (2009).
 R.S Rawat, V. Aggarwal, M. Hassan, P. Lee, S.V. Springham, T.L. Tan and S. Lee, Nano-phase titanium dioxide thin film deposited by repetitive plasma focus: Ion irradiation and annealing based phase transformation and agglomeration, Applied Surface Science 255 (5), 2932-2942 (2008).
 M. Hassan, R.S. Rawat, P. Lee, S.M. Hassan, A. Qayyum, R. Ahmed, G. Murtaza and M. Zakaullah, Synthesis of nanocrystalline multiphase titanium carbide/a-C thin films by UNU/ICTP and NX2 plasma focus devices, Applied Physics A – Material Science and Processing 90 (4), 669-677 (2008).
 M. Hassan, R.S. Rawat, P. Lee, S.M. Hassan, A. Qayyum, R. Ahmad, G. Murtaza and M. Zakaullah, Effect of plasma focus discharge currents and repetition rates on evolution of nanocrystalline multiphase titanium carbide/a-C thin films, Journal of Nepal Physical Society 32, 19-23 (2007).
 Rakesh Malik, S Annapoorni, S Lamba, S Mahmood, and R S Rawat, Dispersion of laser droplets using H+ ions and annealing effect on pulsed laser deposited nickel ferrite thin films, Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, 105(1), 233-238 (2011): DOI 10.1007/s00339-011-6495-9.